Vincenzo Nibali, winner of Stage 2 in Yorkshire, may have now raced up the Champs-Elysees to victory in the Tour de France but do not despair, celebrations are still continuing in Nidderdale. Join in our ‘Tour de Pateley ‘ and ‘Tour de Nidderdale’ trails to avoid the ‘TDF’ blues (yellows?).
The world famous bike race has been and gone, it thundered through Nidderdale to the most amazing support. Thousands lined the roads to get the best view. ‘Cote de Blubberhouses’ was a marvel to see, a sea of spectators watched as the peloton climbed Kex Gill and beyond.
For further images of the Grand Depart weekend, please see our ‘Tour de Nidderdale’ page.
Welcome to Yorkshire is launching a competition which will run in the Yorkshire Post and Yorkshire Evening Post to find the best dressed places in Yorkshire in the run up to the Grand Départ of the Tour de France.
Applicants can enter one of 3 categories according to the size of their community, they’ll be judged by a panel and the winner of each category will win tickets to the Opening Ceremony & Team Presentation as well as a winners’ plaque.
Please look out for this in the papers and encourage people to enter this competition.
Full details are here – http://letour.yorkshire.com/bestdressed
With summer and the Tour de France just around the corner, grab yourself a ‘We love Nidderdale’ T-shirt while stocks last and help us promote our beautiful countryside and support our community.
Tshirts, mugs and car stickers for sale at our office, call 01423 714953 for details
We’re circulating our latest promotional leaflet this week, detailing all the fantastic shops in Nidderdale and great places to eat – thanks to all the businesses who’ve taken part. There’s a Tour de France theme to it and we hope all our visitors will make the most of their stay here and support our local businesses. The majority of our printed leaflets have gone this week to locations outside Nidderdale (to attract visitors in!) but we have some circulating in the dale as well, including a few in our office – hope you like it!
How will YOU celebrate the Tour de France in Nidderdale? Do you live, work or go to school in Nidderdale? Join our project and decorate a bike (or bike paraphernalia) with a YELLOW theme and display (in your garden, drive, school, front window…….??) from end of May to end of September – there’s a competition for the best dressed bike and a trail to help residents and visitors seek out those yellow bikes across Nidderdale! Tell us NOW if you’re going to participate – and, if you’re a business, let us know if you’re willing to donate a small prize too. Contact us via this website or email email@example.com
Full details below:
DALES YELLOW BIKES:
1) Residents, businesses, schools, village halls, churches across the Nidderdale Plus area – are invited to decorate a ‘bike’ – or bike paraphernalia – of any size, with a YELLOW THEME – to celebrate the TdF coming to Yorkshire.
2) Bikes should be displayed in gardens, windows, rooftops, schools, village greens, church porches etc for the period 26 May (Bank holiday) to 1 Sept (end of school summer holidays).
3) To enter our competition, participants should email/post a photo of their bike, with details of location, to Nidderdale Plus. Nidderdale Plus will email by return a ‘We Love Nidderdale’ poster to the participants which must be then attached to the bike or displayed alongside it – this poster explains the competition and how to enter etc.
4) Photos will be uploaded by Nidderdale Plus onto a dedicated Facebook page ‘DalesYellowBikes’, managed by Nidderdale Plus
5) Encourage your family, friends, neighbours and passing tourists to ‘like’ the DalesYellowBikes Facebook page or email Nidderdale Plus to express their support. They can also send us their photos of their favourite yellow bikes, for inclusion on the page
6) All those that participate by ‘liking’ the Facebook page (directly to Facebook or by emailing Nidderdale Plus expressing support) will be entered into a prize draw in September – prizes donated by local businesses. In addition, all photos will be judged at a display at the Nidderdale Show and 2 winners – one for the best decorated bike and one for the best ‘looking like a bike but isn’t’ (eg knitted, wooden etc) – will receive prizes!
7) Prize winners will be announced at the Nidderdale Show 2014, alongside a display of a selection of photos from the competition
8) If anyone has an old bike or bike paraphernalia they no longer use or need, please bring to the Nidderdale Plus office – we will decorate with a yellow theme for the summer 2014 (or give to anyone else wishing to join in DalesYellowBikes). We will donate all unwanted bikes to Harrogate Rotary Club Bicycle Recycling scheme – visit www.rotary-ribi.org. in September – NB we will not paint the bike yellow as this renders them un-fit for recycling.
New stock of t-shirts have arrived in the offices – if you haven’t got yours, pop round to buy one! They make a fun present and a great way to display your Nidderdale colours when you’re out and about.